Without the generous support of individuals, businesses, faith communities, schools, cities, service clubs and community organizations, South County Outreach could not restore confidence and provide hope to those in crisis. Ninety cents of every dollar donated goes toward helping families who are struggling. You can help your neighbors in need by making a financial contribution and/or an in-kind donation of food, clothing or other supplies.
WHAT DOES IT COST TO CHANGE A LIFE?
- $20 Money Management Workshop – Sponsor a housing program participant in a money management workshop to help them learn the skills to get them back on their feet and to stay secure.
- $60 Summer Lunch Program – Feed a child during the summer months when subsidized lunch programs are not available.
- $85 Food – Provide one week’s worth of food for a family of four.
- $100 Utilities – Support a family facing utility disconnection, keeping their lights and heat on and allowing them to pay rent and stay off the street.
- $200 Healthy Food – Support our food pantry with a month’s worth of healthy food. These financial contributions are key to funding our fresh food acquisition which supplies vegetables, fruit, milk and other dairy products and lean meats.
- $400 Computer Training – Sponsor five Computer Learning Lab students who are improving their job skills to gain employment or move into better-paying jobs to support themselves and their families.
- $1,200 Rent – Keep children off the streets by providing a homeless family with housing support and counseling services.
EVERY CONTRIBUTION PROVIDES DIGNITY AND HOPE TO OUR NEIGHBORS IN NEED
Ways to Donate:
Your donations can be mailed in or securely placed online and can be directed to fund any South County Outreach program or you can choose to send it to where it is most needed. Choices include:
- General operating fund
- Computer learning center
- Food pantry
- Homeless prevention
- Holiday Adopt-A-Family
- Rental Assistance
- Housing programs
- Thrift store
- Utility assistance
Go to the secure donation form.
You can also donate through our NEW Virtual Food Drive
Click here to go to the Virtual Food Drive. It’s fun and you can pay securely online with your credit card.
Matching Gift Program
Many employers double – and some even triple – your charitable donations. Go to our Matching Gifts page to learn more and to find a list of companies.
Memorial, Tribute and Celebration Gifts
Honor a friend or loved one by making a donation to South County Outreach in their name. Go to our Memorial Gifts page to learn more.
Leave a Legacy
A planned gift is a wonderful way to continue your support for South County Outreach through your estate. Go to our Legacy Gifts page to learn more.
Two ways to provide food
1. Food donations: South County Outreach works diligently to provide emergency non-perishable and fresh food to an average of 50 families each day. South County Outreach frequently has to purchase food to serve those who seek our help. You can support those in need by hosting a food drive or purchasing and donating the following most-needed food items:
- Peanut butter
- Canned fruit
- Macaroni & cheese
- Pasta sauce
- Canned beans
- Canned vegetables
Click here for the food drive flyer
Click here to fill out our food drive form
2. Monetary donations: Fund our fresh food acquisition. It is an easy way for individuals or businesses to support South County Outreach and our efforts to provide fresh vegetables, fruit, milk and other dairy products and lean meats for healthy meals.
Click here for the donation form
YOUR GENEROSITY IS CHANGING LIVES AND HELPING SOUTH COUNTY OUTREACH IN OUR EFFORTS TO FIGHT HUNGER AND HOMELESSNESS BY HELPING PEOPLE HELP THEMSELVES. THANK YOU!
Donating new or gently used clothing and household items
10 most needed items at Upscale Resale Thrift Store:
- Purses – designer or name brand
- Ladies Clothing – designer or name brand
- Fine & Costume Jewelry – gold jewelry in any condition
- Small Pieces of Furniture – accessory tables and sofas
- Shoes & Boots – new or gently worn women’s and men’s sizes
- Collectibles – figurines, fine china, silver
- Home Décor – floral arrangements, leaded crystal, accent items, holiday items
- Books – publishing date less than 5 years or classics
- DVDs & CDs – please no cassettes or video tapes
- Toys, Games and Puzzles – must be complete
Click Here for the Clothing Driver Flyer.
Upscale Resale Thrift Store does not accept donations of large furniture, beds, large appliances, torn or soiled clothing, car seats or non-working items.
Please contact the Computer Learning Lab at (949) 461-9066 to donate computers or computer equipment.
Please contact South County Outreach’s Program Offices & Food Pantry at (949) 380-8144 to donate large furniture, beds, computers, cars or other large items.
Donate Your Vehicle
Automobile donations are an incredibly fast and easy way to help South County Outreach. Your car donations help support our vital work and are an easy way for you to get rid of an unwanted vehicle.
Do you have an automobile you no longer want or use but you don’t want to go through the trouble of selling it? You can make a contribution to us with a donation of car. When you donate your car to South County Outreach the automobile is taken care of free with no paperwork hassle.
Our new Virtual Food Drive is now open for business! Check out our newest feature. The Virtual Food Drive is a fun way to “shop” to help stock the South County Outreach food pantry without having to leave your home. Grab an animated shopping cart and choose items such as fresh produce, bags of beans and dairy products. You can check out securely and pay for your purchases online with a credit card. Your donation is fully tax deductible and you are having a direct impact on changing lives for local people in need.
Click here to go to the Virtual Food Drive – happy shopping!
Wholesale food donations
Research shows that nearly half of all food in America is wasted each year. By donating excess food you can keep good food out of the landfill and place into the hands of hungry people in Orange County. Your gift of food can help provide hunger relief to vulnerable children, adults and seniors.
The benefits of food rescue for a wholesaler include:
- Reducing disposal fees. Throwing away food can be expensive, especially when considering the transport and disposal fees involved. By donating to our food pantry, which can provide free pick-up service, you eliminate these costs.
- Tax incentives. All donations are eligible for tax credit. We are happy to provide you any necessary paperwork for you to receive this benefit. Please note that in-kind donations of food must be valued by your company or organization.
- Freeing up floor space. Less clutter in your warehouse areas by storing surplus food and unused inventory.
- A positive image. Customers notice when a company they buy from does something good for the community. Donating to our Food Bank does a great deal to help the New Mexico community. Your food rescue donations are all protected under federal and state law. Read the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Act, which removes and limits your company’s liability.
- Preventing food from being thrown away. By donating to our Food Bank, you can keep food out of landfills and get it to people who are in need of assistance.
Food wholesalers can donate:
- Close to code items
- Partial cases
- Out of code with extended use-by dates
- Bulk or food service size
- Discontinued items
- Mislabeled items
- Perishable items
- Test product inventory
- Reclamation or salvage products
- Off-spec items
- Packaging changes
- Promotional or seasonal items
Giving to our hunger relief efforts provides critical food and meals to our most vulnerable neighbors, and your support also saves your wholesale distribution company money and space. Our Food Bank staff can work with you to arrange to pick up your donated food, saving you money on transportation costs.
Our work in hunger relief is possible thanks to the support of our community. As a wholesale distributor, you might often come across food in damaged packaging, near its best use by date or otherwise slightly defective. Although this product might not be able to be sold in stores, it is still edible and can really help those who are in need of hunger relief. Call 949-380-8144, ext. 220 today to set up your donation.
There are lots of people who have green thumbs in Orange County and take the initiative to plant vegetables and fruit in their yard every year. And while many of these home-grown foods are used at home, some of them don’t last long enough to be eaten.
One way you can help is taking your extra garden produce and donating it to our food pantry. We will use your donated garden produce to feed hungry people in communities throughout the state.
Simply bring your produce donations to the Food Bank during our hours of operations. We will weigh it for you and provide a receipt crediting you for the gift for tax purposes.
Professional gardeners may also be interested in helping. Through the Garden Writers Association there is a national program called “Plant a Row for the Hungry.” The program encourages professional gardeners to plant at least a row in their garden for the hungry during the planting season and donate it to their local food bank, food pantry or soup kitchen. Professional gardeners can visit www.gardenwriters.org for more information about the Plant a Row program.
South County Outreach, founded in 1989, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing hunger- and homeless-prevention services to low-income families. South County Outreach helps those in crisis reach self-sufficiency by providing services that include a food pantry, utility and rental assistance, homeless-prevention counseling, computer training, clothing and housing programs to support homeless families. Monthly, we assist 3,000 people with food and annually we house 30 families.
Open five days a week, the Food Pantry is a 10,000-square-foot supermarket-like facility that distributes healthy groceries to Orange County households facing hunger. By securing groceries at no charge, clients are able to redirect food money toward other basic needs. South County Outreach provides almost 55,000 services each year with the help of 250 weekly volunteers.
In-Kind Food Donation Process
- All in-kind donations are distributed to South County Outreach clients, free of charge.
- 90% of the almost 1,000,000 lbs. of food distributed is secured through grocery stores and community food drives.
- Smaller-size donations are received at our warehouse daily between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Pick-ups for weekly re-occurring and large donations/food drives are available daily from 8-10 a.m., Monday-Friday. South County Outreach utilizes a volunteer truck driver corps for this service.
- Food donations received at the warehouse are weighed at the time of drop-off. The donor completes a receipt form with the on-site volunteer each time.
- Donations that are picked up or are recurring are weighed upon return to the warehouse and receipts are mailed.
In-Kind Thrift Store Donations
Donate new or gently used items to Upscale Resale. In-kind donations may be dropped off at Upscale Resale Thrift store at 23501 Ridge Route Ste. G, Laguna Hills, CA 92653, Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
Items that are accepted:
- Fine & costume jewelry
- Small pieces of furniture
- Shoes & boots
- Home décor, including holiday items
- Toys, games and puzzles – must be complete
- Ladies, men’s and children’s clothing – clean clothing in good-to-excellent condition
- Undergarments can only be accepted if the item is new with tags or in packages
Please call 949-855-4158 regarding donations of large furniture. Large appliances, beds/mattresses, torn or soiled clothing, carseats or non-working items cannot be accepted at Upscale Resale. To donate working appliances, please call 949-380-8144, ext. 205. These items are placed into housing for homeless families.
In-Kind Donation Benefits
In addition to the gratitude of South County Outreach and the clients we assist each year, donations are tax deductible. By law, South County Outreach cannot provide a dollar value of an In-kind gift. We can provide detailed information on the weight, date and type of product/goods donated.
Information needed to complete donation receipt:
- Date of donation
- Donor and/or company name
- Mailing address, phone and email
- Type of donation, such as cash, check, food or other products
- Weight of food donations
The operating dollars that are saved by your donation directly support the programs and services we provide for the well-being of those in need in our community. Thank you for your donation!
Donor Bill of Rights:
Click here to view our Donor Bill of Rights.
Privacy and Security:
South County Outreach keeps your personal information secure and provides a safe environment for credit card donations. South County Outreach will never sell, trade or rent your personal information to other individuals or companies. The information that you provide is used only to complete your donation. When you make a donation, your personal information is kept confidential by South County Outreach.
Tax-deductible charitable contributions made on South County Outreach’s website are non-refundable. If there are extenuating circumstances, please contact our Business Office at (949) 380-8144 ext. 204.
Donations can also be mailed to:
South County Outreach
7 Whatney, Suite B
Irvine, CA 92618